Past Perfect Tense
Past Perfect Tense:
- Always use 3rd form of the verb.
- So “sleep” becomes “slept”, “break” becomes “broken” etc.
- The helping verb of past perfect tense is (had)
- As (had) is the only helping verb of past perfect tense, so it is obvious that it will be used with all nouns and pronouns.
- Example of simple or positive sentence
- He had done his work.
- I had cleaned the room.
- In negative sentence not is used after the helping verb.
- (had not)
- Example of negative sentence
- He had not done his work.
- I had not cleaned the room.
- In interrogative sentences helping verb is used in start of the sentence.
- Example of interrogative sentence
- Had he done his work?
- Had you cleaned the room?